My 27th year was supposed to be one of the best yet. After all, it was my champagne birthday and 27 has just always been a good number to me.
27 was a big year, but I do not think I would file it under the best or anywhere close. But, as with anything, I find that unpacking what’s in my head into words helps me figure things out.
And I don’t think I’ll cover everything because really 365 days is a lot, even if it flew by so quickly that I think I got whiplash. But I’m going to try my best because that’s about all I can do.
Some of these things happened, some of these are things that I learned (or am learning) but
- I travelled for the first time. Sure, I’d done road trips and the Disney vacations but this year I went to England and Ireland. I cannot believe that it’s been almost a year ago…and I want to go back. But I want to go elsewhere first.
- I got laid off. And that sucked. I picked myself up, but I still can’t decide if I did it too quickly.
- I started to realize that I am not as strong as I think I am. And mental health-wise I’ve been pretty shitty. But that’s okay. I am still on the same medication and dosage and trying to think through next steps. It’s working, but I always find myself wondering if working is good enough. Or if I should be experiencing something better than just working, you know?
- My goodness, I am over makeup. I love wearing it now and then but gone are the days of a full-glam every single day. I think I just went too hard BUT still obsessed with skincare. Always. Like did you see that new Glossier dewy thing? Already on it.
- I did a spoken word.
- A dream job is rarely the dream job. And if things are too good to be true, they probably are.
- I really need to trust my gut more.
- I explored Monreal by myself. Which led to me having my first meal ALONE! On a gorgeous rooftop, with a salad that had octopus because that’s fancy. I, at this time last year, rarely ate out without panicking…and now I love eating out.
- I realized bangs are fun but a lot of work. But damn I looked cute.
- My best friend got engaged. And then she asked me to be a bridesmaid and I cried a little. I’ve loved weddings for so long but this will be my first time on the inside…I already spend way too much time trying to find the best bridesmaid dress out there.
- I was assaulted and it cost me a job. I wrote about it and it helped me get the closure that I so desperately wanted, but I’m still angry about it.
- The golden filter I have over Toronto started to crack, and now I find myself browsing cities that I want to end up in.
- I went to Osheaga, Bryan Adams, Mother Mother, Fleetwood Mac and Lizzo. Maybe even more than that? Anyway, concerts have always been a special love of mine, and that won’t change anytime soon.
- I had the best peaches of my life. I can’t possibly describe them, but just know that I will never forget them.
- I started my third job of the year. And I am exhausted.
- I had a death in the family. I know that this is going to happen, sadly, more often as I get older. I don’t like this and I do not like talking about it.
- I was the editor of Korkscrewed, a hilarious dating book that has yummy cocktail recipes. The whole experience was amazing, Jordan is a brilliant writer with more ambition than I can handle and I admire her for it.
- I took a break from Instagram, the beloved app I thought I would love forever. Okay I still love it, since I’ve found a way to make it more fun with collages. Also highly recommend having a personal account if you love the app but hate the politics and worth it carries in the blog world.
- I like being alone, but alone time can be addicting. I think that balance is good and that I like that I’m learning to do things alone too. I had my first meal solo when in Montreal and it was amazing, I went to Fleetwood Mac alone and I’ve seen a few movies alone too! This will be an ongoing trend I think.
- We had our first wedding in the family, and somewhere in the world there’s a video of me dancing to The Time Warp on an empty dance floor with my dad.
- I went to my first fitness class and then joined a gym.
- I learned that toxic friendships are never easy to get out of, but that whole hindsight is 20/20 thing is LEGIT.
- Lying in the grass reading became my favourite Sunday activity.
- I think we all know this but wow time flies. I’m in a weird period where everyone I know is getting engaged, having kids or both. I am one of, if not the only, single gal in the gang and while I LOVE weddings I can’t help but twitch my eye every now and then at the thought of getting married just yet. I want to figure out my own life first before I share it with someone else.
- 100 books is a very high reading goal. It was mighty fine when I didn’t have a job but yeah…too high.
- A baby grabbed my hand and I burst into tears.
- I started understanding what I need in a relationship. Started, mind you, I’m still pretty clueless.
Let’s see what 28 brings.